We were discharged yesterday. 4 days of hospitalization, 3 blood draws for multiple tests, 1 intravenous line, 1 CT scan, and a slew of Infectious Disease doctors consulted…with the result: UNKNOWN infection. With Timothy’s symptoms, the doctors were almost certain that this infection was something dangerous to a CGD patient. They thought the CT scan would show an abscess in his liver. And Timothy would have had to be on a long-term treatment through a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line on his arm. PICC lines are long- term IV lines to inject antibiotics directly. But to the doctors great surprise, they did not find anything too significant on the CT scan. And to add to their confusion, Timothy was non-febrile starting Wednesday. The last blood test showed his inflammation markers were slowly coming down, with his WBC count in the normal range. So why the alarming numbers and the week and a half of fever? We are still waiting on the results of blood cultures, stool culture, and other blood tests the ID doctors have ordered. I am hoping all will turn out negative and this was an unknown viral infection that lasted a little longer than necessary. We have a follow-up appointment next Thursday. Until then, we will be staying put. No crowded places, minimal contact with kids, washing hands incessantly, etc… We will be very cautious.
Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. This really gave us a scare. I didn’t know what was going to happen. And seeing Timothy feel pain and cry broke my heart. As the nurses pinned him down for various procedures, all Timothy could do was look at me helplessly with tears in his eyes begging for help. My words of reassurance that everything would be okay didn’t seem good enough. We just cried together.
Please continue to pray for us. We don’t want to go through this again.